Sunday 20 March 2016

Technique versus Instinct

I am treading in water that I am finding a bit too deep. I have always ridden by feel--I find it very difficult to think about this foot here, hip weight there, blah, blah, blah.


Riding from the time I was able to get a horse near a fence to climb up (4 years old), I was out there, riding unsupervised, bareback, doing all the dangerous fun things and developing a feel that is second nature.

Sure, I was shaped along the way through 4-H, clinics, et cetera, on proper equitation so I learned to look 'pretty' for shows and I did quite well at it.

Then with Miss Tea, I dove into hunter land and learned about short stirrups, half seats and how to make all of that 'pretty'.
"will dressage for cookies" - Savvy



Enter Savvy and our new direction: Dressage.


My brain hurts. I have actually printed lists and illustrations of movements, what the horse's body is supposed to be doing and what my body needs to do to get it. I just can't get this X-Y-Z stuff into my head yet though. Riding on instinct and feel is difficult when I do not fully understand what I want her body to do exactly and why.

I know we'll get there. I just never imagined dressage would be so hard.

6 comments:

  1. This is a tough one when you first switch to dressage. It's like your brain gets in the way of doing anything well because you are thinking SO hard. You are on the right track learning movements and terms but sometimes imagery like in Centered Riding or Mary Wanless Can be very helpful in turning a bunch of individual aids/movements into one flowing whole. Does that make sense? For instance in the "warrior" posture in Centered Riding you imitate the posture of a Native American on a horse. You end up sitting poised, centered, weight dropping through the leg, and following with your hips. If you tried to do all of these things individually it takes up all your brain space, but by just holding the "image" in your head you get the same effect but with the ability to think about a couple of other things. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can see how that might prevent me from becoming so overwhelmed!

      Delete
  2. I totally relate!! Except I've never been able to trust my feel all that much anyway lol. For me I'm just trying to find a balance. Just trying to get the thing done the way I feel I can, then go back and study how my own positioning could improve it next time. It... Kinda works for me lol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a great attitude and approach to things. I'm more of a "be perfect now!" "Oh my god, why do I suck, so much." kind of girl! :P

      Delete
  3. Dressage is unbelievably hard. After my dressage lessons I feel like my brain is smoking! One thing at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really loving it most days--I just occasionally feel like my brain will implode and Savvy could probably do better without me on her back! :P

      Delete