Thursday 3 March 2016

Pony Love

I may have mentioned a few times in the past how much I love my mare?

pony love XOXO


The long, exhausting, tear and self-doubt-filled road I have been on in an attempt to regain some semblance of confidence is happening guys!

Savvy is not an easy horse. Starting with an unbroke horse and attempting to train them for riding all on your own while you are dealing with fear is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED.

Yet here I am, doing it. I am not only surviving the scary stuff, but we are doing well. Savvy is a super star in lessons and even when she looses her marbles, she comes right back and tries so hard to work for me.

No matter if she is calm and moving in that beautiful swinging walk, or she is tossing her head and saying "Hell no, I am not bending left today!", or tattling on my outside rein disconnect, I am just a smiling fool these days.

I am really starting to 'know' her under saddle. It has taken a while, but having that knowledge is feeding my confidence.

This doesn't mean fear is gone. I still deal with minor worry of staying on if she spooks, et cetera, but the great thing is, it is in perspective now. No longer paralysing, or blown out of proportion.

Now I can focus on good stuff like actually getting better at dressage instead of survival.

6 comments:

  1. aw Savvy just sounds like the neatest mare - i am so happy that you're having so much fun with her!! sometimes i worry that those little moments of fear or nervousness will always be with me as a rider, but with the right horse nothing is insurmountable :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I know, last year I thought I had maxed out on how much I could improve with this fear stuff. I had improved quite a bit but I was still was dealing with the odd moment of total melt down. I feel so encouraged by my rides these days and you are just rocking it as of late! I can't wait to read about your first X-country this year!

      Delete
  2. Love that picture! Glad you are moving along and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That arena is so great for picture taking. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad your confidence is improving and you're enjoying your mare! I too have just started riding my young mare (after a trainer put 60 days on her) carrying my own fear issues. And I'm surprised at how well it's going. I've had my mare (Mystic) since she was 6 months old so I give some credit to us already being good friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my own experience, having a horse from such a young age really adds a deeper aspect to your connection with a horse--kind of like the difference between friends and family. Good luck to you and Mystic!

      Delete