Tuesday 12 December 2017

How to solve a problem named Savvy

Or alternate title: Stop hurting yourself you stupid cow.

Look who needs to be separated. Surprise, surprise it is none other than Crankenstein.
The transition into winter has been hard on all of us. Short blustery days and dark coming far to early makes finding horse time a bit tricky, especially without an indoor or at least outdoor lighting at home. I have been trailering out with Shiraz once a week to the indoor arena. Besides that, I am able to spend some time in the backyard on my lunch breaks. Unfortunately I have been using that time to do barnyard chores that are easier done with daylight rather than riding much.

Savvy is feeling the neglect. With little to no grazing time due to snow covered paddocks, combined with less time spent occupying her busy brain with people time, she has become, er, less than pleasant to her fellow paddock family.

She has always been adamant that she should be leader and pushes our beastly little pony constantly trying to take her spot as queen 'o the land. And, she always loses.


For the past few weeks though, it has been escalating to the point that every morning I was preparing myself mentally for what new cut she would have that day. The carnage was getting too much for me. And pony? Never a scratch. Savvy probably couldn't kick hard enough to get through pony's buffalo coat.

A new mark for every day of the week.
 I considered putting shipping boots on her back legs at night (as that is when most of her injuries would happen), but that would not solve whatever damage she could give back. In Savvy's frustration with losing to Meyla, she would then take out on Shiraz who she is above in the pecking order.

My only solution at the moment is separating them. I don't like a horse to be on their own, but there are shelters in both paddocks and they can hang out over the fence. It is frustrating to have to separate my little herd. The paddock space the three of them had is huge and there is never a lack of food to fight over.
To make up for showing you gross injury pics, here are my kitties being super cute.
The fact that Savvy has to be so relentless in her pursuit for supremacy over all is problematic, but it also leaves me in awe that she accepts my role as her leader. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh Savvy.... so frustrating!!

    Maybe tell her if she keeps it up Santa will bring her coal lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I don't think Santa would dare to get on her hit list.

      Delete
  2. Ugh Savvy! (though that crankenstein pic had me loling pretty hard) I mean at least they can hang out over the fence and overall it will be safer for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is peace of mind for me at the least. She's never become lame from any kicks luckily, but all the hosing and wound care is annoying, especially at -10 degrees Celsius.

      Delete
  3. Mares! Ugh. My husband's mare was constantly fighting with other horses. Even if separated, she'd kick the walls and fences if other horses happened to exist when food was present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Too many opinions. But at least super fun to work with!

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh, Savvy! what an expression that is on your face!!! almost makes me wonder if she and charlie have been having secret conversations about the art of extreme grump! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Its hard to imagine dear sweet Charlie being a grump. Cheers to this phase passing and moods improving!

      Delete
  5. It's frustrating but sometimes they just need to be separated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its for the best but annoying. Sometimes horses are their own worst enemy.

      Delete
  6. Naughty pony but nice kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete