Sunday 26 June 2016

Pony has Hops!

I often use cross rails in training a young horse. It is helpful in getting them accustomed to the feel of the saddle in big movements in a very green horse. It can be a useful trick in early canter work and is a fun change for a horse if you are working on fussy posture work.



This feeling.  <3

I attempted jumping Savvy many times in the past, mostly on the lunge and a couple of times under saddle last year as well. Lets just say she did not present as much of a jumper - more of a step over or knock it down kind of girl. That was fine with me. She showed such great talent at dressage right from the start that I was happy with her 'career' choice.

I have been missing jumping though and just wanted to try again.


For those of you who jump big jumps, humour me in my excitement over a cross rail. It was a BIG DEAL for me! A big deal that she actually jumped instead of her weird step-over manuever, a big deal she was happy to just approach a jump for the first time, trust me and just do it without being looky, and a big deal I approached that jump with a smile on my face and no thoughts of "oh my god, will we live?" in my mind whatsoever!

This is what a year's worth of hard work and steady progress can do -- instill confidence in my wonder pony and in myself. What a great place to be.

7 comments:

  1. Cute! Love that first picture. Confidence IS a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so worth the struggle to get it back!

      Delete
  2. This!

    It is great stuff to do with the green horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I think Savvy was ready for a change in routine. :)

      Delete
  3. Yay Savvy!! She looks like she's having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! On the second approach she was all ears locked on and excited! Very cute. :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! Well done!! :) So happy for you two

    ReplyDelete